Traditional Witches and Pagans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction into ancient sites

3 posters

Go down

Introduction into ancient sites Empty Introduction into ancient sites

Post  Jarl Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:20 pm

I have always visited these types of places since i was a child. But it was not until 4 years ago that i started to go to these historic places as apart of my craft and spirituality. These are places such as pre-historic stone circles and standing stones. Sacred wells and springs, castles, hill forts, Roman buildings. Even Norman and Medieval churches. Most of the sites i will be talking about will be from Cheshire (England) and the surrounding area. What surprised me was that once you scratched the surface they are so many sites around locally that i had never known existed. We are still discovering more all the time!
It came up in a group debate recently of why pagans look to the past. So why are these places important to us a modern day witches and pagans?. Aside from the historical importance of our heritage and culture.
For me it is a way to get in touch with the land. Many of these were considered sacred to our ancestors. Be that a natural spring which were seen as entrances to other realms and also the healing quality of the water. Or that they are built on ley lines (or the old straight track).
It also is a way to commune with my ancestors. While we can never be sure what exactly they built stone circles or what they used for. With standing stones i believe were most likely boundary markers for territory. Or possibly path markers. But does this really matter? Not to me!
All these places have a feeling of spirituality about them. If you believe in nature spirits some of these places will certainly be the places to find them. There are many fabulous legends surrounding them. You may visit them to connect with the land and the ancestors. You may also wish to go ghost hunting to try to communicate with them. If its a sacred spring then the water can be collected for use in spell work. You may wish to visit to pay your respects to your ancestors and learn more about them. Or you may simply just appreciate there beauty. What ever you do i fully feel there are many benefits for witches and pagans at places like these.

Introduction into ancient sites Dscf3218

The Bridestones in Congleton, Cheshire (burial chamber)
Jarl
Jarl
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Introduction into ancient sites Empty Re: Introduction into ancient sites

Post  loki1980 Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:32 am

i love going places like that, even to manor houses and mansions etc, because i work closely with spirits in my craft, its good exercise to keep you open. i also love old things, antiques etc.
loki1980
loki1980
Admin
Admin

https://traditionalwitches.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarl Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:55 am

Little Mortan hall i went to on Saturday had an 18th century painting of the tarot card wheel of fortune depicted on the wall.

Introduction into ancient sites 100_2910
Jarl
Jarl
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chatters Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:05 am

I completely agree Jarl, It is the same, in some ways for me, it is a way to connect to land and spirits. I love these places too
Chatters
Chatters
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down